We're getting close!
I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with this blog very well, but that's about to change.
The Vanishing America Project is just around the corner from once again hitting the road. All we're waiting on is the completion of the engine transplant in the Defender.
Long story short...
The Defender came with a stock Land Rover gasoline V8. We swapped it out for a Cummins 4cyl Diesel and converted it to run on used veggie oil (read the 4x4 article here). It turned out that the Cummins had a bad cylinder and was only running on three. But the 4 different genius diesel mechanics I took it to couldn't figure that out, so I sold the engine and swapped in a Chevy LT1 350 V8. After all, the transmission is an NV4500, one of the best 5-speeds out there for doing anything off-road. The first LT1 to go in was unbalanced, so Luke and Ely at The Shop in Norcross, GA picked up another LT1 and are putting it in this weekend. If it runs smoothly, then they'll button up the D90 and I'm back in the saddle!
So, keep your fingers crossed. It's about to get awesome!